William’s chicken soup
This is a great winter warmer and can be served with rolls/toast and butter. Add some cooked pasta for a heartier meal.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- ½ yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 small potato peeled and cubed
- 1 medium size stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp. of flour
- 2 cubes of chicken stock
- 1 litre of boiling water
- 200g of tinned sweetcorn
- A pinch of mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200g of chopped, uncooked chicken
- Sauté the onion in oil and butter, without browning the onions.
- Fry the yellow pepper, cubed potato and celery until soft.
- Add the flour into the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid for 2 minutes.
- Dissolve 2 chicken cubes in the boiled water and add to the pan.
- Add the sweetcorn.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes at low heat.
- Add the herbs and seasoning to taste.
- Blend the mixture to the desired consistency.
- Cook the blended mixture for 5 minutes at low heat.
- Turn the heat off.
- Add the uncooked chicken.
- Let the chicken cook for 5 minutes in the pan, covered with a lid.
Thanks to William Phiri, our chef, for this nutritious and delicious recipe.