Croatia – a great family holiday destination!
Croatia may or may not be on your bucket list to visit. Here are some reasons to consider making it your next family holiday destination.
1. Croatia offers families a diverse holiday with a mix of historical, cultural and outdoor interests. It boasts breath taking cities, quaint towns and villages, prolific islands, turquoise and warm seas, spectacular waterfalls and prehistoric caves. There is something for everyone.
2. It has fast become a popular European country to visit since the end of communism in the 90s. At this stage, it is a more cost effective holiday compared to other more developed European countries.
3. Croatia is safe, clean and tourist friendly.
4. There is a good network of tunnels, highways and well maintained roads for ease of transport. They can be busy during the summer months though.
5. Public catamarans, boat taxis and Ubers at Sea offer connections along the coast and islands.
6. Most locals can speak English and other European languages.
7. A variety of local and international dishes can be found in restaurants, making feeding children easier. Pizza and pasta is not hard to find! If you are a seafood eater, fresh, delicious and simply cooked seafood is readily available. Check Trip Advisor for best recommendations on price and quality.
8. Try to avoid the peak season of the summer months as it is very hot and busy. However, this is not always easy with work or school holiday time constraints. If you have to visit in peak season, try to avoid the heat and crowds by going out early morning or late afternoon. Stay at your accommodation to get out of the midday heat. Let kids swim in hotel pools or relax in their rooms. Alternatively visit indoor air – conditioned places of interest such as museums.
9. Where and how long you stop in each place, is all dependent on time, cost and interest you have in each area.
10. International airports are available in the capital city of Sagreb or Dabrovnik. Tourists can travel through the country from either of these cities. Hire a car or book private transport to make travelling around the country with kids and luggage easier.
11. The Italian influence of Gelato ice-cream means that kids will enjoy the many ice cream stands that are readily available on the streets!